|Nara Women's University||
Darumaji, which belongs to the Nanzenji branch of Rinzai Zen tradition, is located southeast of Oji Station, the last station on both the JR Yamato and Kintetsu Ikoma lines (Kita Katsuragi-gun, Oji-machi Honmachi 2-1-40).
The temple appears in the Nihon shoki (Chronicles of Japan) entry for December of the 21st year of the reign of Emperor Suiko (613), and in the later legend (from late-Heian to early Kamakura-times) of the starving man met by Shotoku Taishi at Kataoka who turns out to be none other than Daruma Taishi (Bodhidharma). The temple has also drawn attention in recent years due to the fact that a stone Hokyoin pagoda was excavated from below the main hall.
The Stone Column Recording the Revival of Darumaji (Jp. Darumaji Chukoki Sekido), which has been designated an Important Cultural Property, is dated Bun'an 5 (1448). It indicates that the temple received the support of the Muromachi bakufu and had undergone a large-scale renovation. The temple also possesses two additional Important Cultural Properties, a wooden statute of a seated Shotoku Taishi, dated Kenji 3 (1277), and a wooden seated Daruma from Eikyo 2 (1430).
Visible-light and infrared photographs of the Kenpon chakushoku Butsu nehan zu (Color on Silk Painting of Buddha's Nirvana) linked for comparison can be accessed at this homepage.
Please click on Color on Silk Painting of Buddha's Nirvana to view the images.
Chukoki Sekido(Important Cultural Property)
(C) 2006-2014 Darumaji & Nara Women's University Academic Information Center. All rights reserved.