|Nara Women's University||
Shokoji, which is also called Sanryuzan, is a temple of the Pure Land school of Japanese Buddhism. Shokobo Bencho (1162-1238), a direct disciple of the famed monk Honen (1133-1212), was also known as Shoko Shonin, or the Saintly Shoko. Temple legend recounts that he built a hut here at the end of the 12th century. It was later redeveloped and given the name Shokoji in Tensho 6 (1578).
Bencho was from Kogetsu estate in Chikuzen province (present-day Kita-Kyushu). He accepted the Buddhist precepts at age 14 and studied Tendai Buddhist doctrine at Hieizan, the mountain headquarters of the Tendai sect just outside the capital, Kyoto. After having returned to his homeland in Kyushu, he once again came back to the capital in his mid-30s to study under Honen. He succeeded his master, becoming the second head of the Pure Land school following Honen's death. His school of Buddhist is called the Chinzei-ha, after the ancient name for Kyushu.
|A Guide to Shokoji|
|Location||Kyoto-fu, Kyoto-shi, Shimogyo-ku, Teramachidori-Ayanokoji sagaru Nakanomachi 584-1|
Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Shoukouji-temple & Nara Women's University Academic Information Center. All rights reserved.